Law Office of Kelley A. Joseph, P.A.
Call for a consultation

Is it possible to make post-divorce modifications to support payments?

Spousal support and child support are two common aspects of divorce decrees in Florida. Support can also be the source of a lot of frustration for both parties after the agreement is finalized. Many times the spouse who is ordered to pay support is not happy with the amount that was ordered, or the receiving spouse comes to realize that the payment needs to be higher.

Some people believe that once the court has made a support order there is no going back. However, that is not necessarily the case. Depending on the circumstances, it may be possible to make modifications to support payments after divorce.

In order to make this kind of change, one has to file a petition with the court to ask for modification, even if both parties agree on the change. Most divorce modifications are made because of child support or child custody issues. However, modifications can also be made for alimony.

To modify a support order, you have to show that there has been a significant change in circumstances. People can't get a modification simply because they don't like the terms. However, when people go through big changes in life, especially those affecting income, then there may be grounds for a modification.

Life events such as job loss or getting a raise may justify a downward or upward modification of support. Either spouse can petition for a change in child support or spousal support, but before doing so, it's a good idea to speak with a family law attorney who can assess your case, guide you through the process, and help you reach the best outcome.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Get Answers To Your Questions

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Office Location

Law Office of Kelley A. Joseph, P.A.
8211 West Broward Boulevard
Penthouse 4 (PH4)
Plantation, FL 33324

Toll Free: 888-392-5784
Phone: 954-703-4091
Phone: 954-376-4826
Fax: 954-369-5889
Map & Directions