Law Office of Kelley A. Joseph, P.A.
Call for a consultation

Do you know how to change a custody order?

As your children grow and your life changes, your child custody order may no longer work for you and your ex-spouse.

Fortunately, you don't have to struggle with an out-of-date custody order. You can instead modify it to meet the requirements of all parties.

Here are your options:

  • Make an agreement with the other parent: If you're able to get along long enough to create a new agreement, the court is likely to approve the changes. As long as the agreement is in the best interest of both parents, as well as your children, everything should work out.
  • Request a hearing: When parents are unable to agree to changes, you will have to submit the necessary paperwork through the family law court that issued the order in the first place. Typically, the court requires proof of changed circumstances in order to approve a change.
  • Mediation: This is often the best way to work things out with the other parent, as it allows both of your voices to be heard. Rather than rely on the court to make final decisions regarding custody, you can work directly with the other parent.

Life changes, and when it does your custody order may no longer make sense. If you need to modify your custody order, don't hesitate to first speak with the other parent. This could lead you to make the necessary changes without spending any time in court.

Conversely, if you're unable to reach common ground, don't hesitate to learn more about your legal rights and the court process associated with requesting a modification.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Get Answers To Your Questions

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Office Location

Law Office of Kelley A. Joseph, P.A.
8211 West Broward Boulevard
Penthouse 4 (PH4)
Plantation, FL 33324

Toll Free: 888-392-5784
Phone: 954-703-4091
Phone: 954-376-4826
Fax: 954-369-5889
Map & Directions