Law Office of Kelley A. Joseph, P.A.
Call for a consultation

Options for modifying a child custody agreement

There is more than one way to modify a child custody agreement, so if you find yourself in this position, it's critical to take the necessary steps at the appropriate time.

Here are the three options for you to consider:

  • Modification by agreement: With this, you and your ex-spouse are able to work together to create an agreement that suits the both of you. While it requires court approval, it's often the most efficient way to modify your agreement.
  • Modification by hearing: If you're unable to reach an agreement with your ex, the court that issued your original order will step in.
  • Mediation: If you can't work together outside of court to reach an agreement, you're likely to be sent to mediation. This gives you and your ex the opportunity to work with a mediator to find an acceptable resolution. While a mediator doesn't have the legal power of a judge, this person can help move the process along.

Maybe you need to modify your child custody agreement because your ex is no longer living up to the terms and conditions. Or maybe you need to modify it because your child's circumstances have changed, such as no longer being available for visitation on weekends.

Regardless of why you're seeking a child custody agreement modification, make sure you collect the necessary information, understand the process and take the necessary steps in protecting your legal rights.

When you take the right approach to modifying a child custody agreement, you'll feel better about your chances of success and ability to move past this in a timely manner.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Get Answers To Your Questions

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Office Location

Law Office of Kelley A. Joseph, P.A.
8211 West Broward Boulevard
Penthouse 4 (PH4)
Plantation, FL 33324

Toll Free: 888-392-5784
Phone: 954-703-4091
Phone: 954-376-4826
Fax: 954-666-5702
Map & Directions