Jump to Navigation

Plantation Family Law Blog

Florida researchers design online toolkit to facilitate healthy co-parenting after divorce

Research shows that, in America right now, about 25 percent of families are single-parent families with children younger than 18. Additionally, each year more than a million children experience their parents' divorce.

These large-scale figures, while perhaps difficult to fathom, underscore the widespread need for healthy co-parenting after divorce. Multiple studies have shown that when co-parents have the skills and knowledge to resolve conflicts and make the kids' well-being the top priority, the children are far more likely to be healthy and well-adjusted.

Can child support continue after a child turns 18?

Many parents are able to use Florida's child support guidelines and reach an agreement about support payments without having to ask a court to intervene. In other cases, however, court intervention is necessary.

Under Florida's child support statutes, support orders must provide a schedule that states when the order takes effect, as well as the amount of support to be paid each month for all of the paying parent's minor children. The schedule must also establish the amount to be paid for any children still entitled to support after any other children are no longer entitled.

Don't let the children's needs get overlooked in divorce

Divorce is extremely emotional, and it's understandable when parents get caught up in their own personal struggles and aren't exactly sure of how to proceed in a constructive way. While there are methods of dispute resolution that can minimize spousal friction, conflict between divorcing spouses is still a reality.

Another reality is that the needs and concerns of the children are too often overlooked in the midst of parental conflict and courtroom proceedings. When their parents can no longer live together, children need advocates more than anyone else, and sometimes it is necessary for the court to appoint a guardian to ensure that the best interests of the child are not forgotten during the legal process. 

How to establish paternity in Florida

Whether you're a mother in need of court-ordered child support payments, or you're a father trying to assert your right to spend time with your child, legally establishing paternity can be extremely important in child custody proceedings.

If paternity is an issue in your family law case, then it is a good idea to be represented by a family law attorney who is prepared to take the matter to court if need be, but also prepared to resolve matters in the most amicable and efficient way possible outside of court.

Florida legislators consider new alimony reform bill

In Florida there are five main kinds of spousal support. Those are:

  • Temporary alimony, which is paid during the divorce proceeding and not afterward
  • Bridge-the-gap alimony, which is paid for a maximum of two years while the receiving spouse transitions to life after divorce
  • Durational alimony, which is paid after short or moderate duration marriages. This kind of spousal support cannot be awarded for a period longer than the length of the marriage.
  • Rehabilitative alimony, which is paid to help the receiving spouse become self-supporting through education, training or work experience.
  • Permanent alimony, which is long-term financial support awarded after a long-term marriage -- 17 years or more. In some cases, permanent alimony may also be awarded after moderate-term marriages.

How can I lessen the burden on my kids during my divorce?

Different couples handle divorce in different ways. For many people, divorce is the most stressful if not devastating time in their lives, while for other spouses, putting the marriage behind them will be a great relief. For children, however, their parents' divorce is always a confusing and overwhelming time.

Children need security, and they often see their parents' divorce as a threat to that security, perhaps especially if the parents are in conflict. To help parents nurture their children through the divorce process and into life after the divorce, the American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry (AACAP) provides some tips. 

Is it possible to make post-divorce modifications to support payments?

Spousal support and child support are two common aspects of divorce decrees in Florida. Support can also be the source of a lot of frustration for both parties after the agreement is finalized. Many times the spouse who is ordered to pay support is not happy with the amount that was ordered, or the receiving spouse comes to realize that the payment needs to be higher.

Some people believe that once the court has made a support order there is no going back. However, that is not necessarily the case. Depending on the circumstances, it may be possible to make modifications to support payments after divorce.

Child custody doesn't always have to be a win-or-lose situation

Children want and need both of their parents, but historically child custody has been handled in the courts in such a way as to make the parents adversaries. This creates a situation in which one parent wins and the other parent loses. Despite the court's intention of protecting the child's best interests, the win-or-lose approach too often greatly limits a loving and capable parent's time with the child.

Of course, there are cases where the child should definitely be in the physical and legal custody of one parent and not the other, but that is not true in every instance. To ensure that their rights are protected and that their child's well-being overrides all other concerns, parents should have a legal representative who understands what is at stake.

Failing to pay child support not only hurts the child; parents can face serious legal consequences

In matters of child support, as in decisions related to parenting plans and child custody, the primary concern is doing what is best for the child. Sometimes the parent who receives support feels the amount being paid simply isn't enough, and sometimes the paying parent has doubts about how the money is being spent.

The best way to go about resolving a child support dispute is to go through the proper legal channels. In some cases, a modification of a child support order is appropriate. What a paying parent should never do is simply abandon his or her obligation to support the child financially.

Talking about child custody in collaborative terms

Most people think of language in terms of which words will best express what they think and feel. But the relationship goes the other way as well. Words and phrases have the power to shape how we think and feel. This is among the reasons why Florida courts prefer to use phrases like "parenting plans" and "time sharing" rather than the more traditional "child custody" and "visitation."

For decades, the custody model was often based on picking the "better parent" and awarding custody accordingly. In some parts of the United States, this is still how things are done. But family courts are increasingly realizing that frequent and continued contact with both parents is often in the best interests of children after divorce.

Practice Areas

Get Help Today

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.